Bandar Seri Begawan Language and Literature Library
The Language and Literature Library was temporarily established under the Education Department in 1963. On 29 September 1965, in conjunction to the Constitution of Brunei 1959, the Laying of Foundation Stone Ceremony for the Language and Literature Building was carried out by His Majesty Sultan Omar ‘Ali Saifuddin Sa’adul Khairi Waddien.
The Language and Literature Building at Jalan Elizabeth II was officially opened on 29 September 1968 by Yang Teramat Mulia Seri Paduka Duli Pengiran Pemancha Sahibul Rae’ Wal-Mashuarah Pengiran Muda Haji Mohd Alam. However, the Library Section started to cater its services to the public on 21 November 1968, and the library items were used as references only.
The Language and Literature Bureau Library played its role as the main library for this country. On 1 September 1971, services such as lending and borrowing of library items and references, as well as mobile library were introduced.